Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ireland signs new deal

Stephen Ireland has today pledged his future to Manchester
City by signing a five year contract with the Club.
The new deal sees the 21
year old midfielder, who made his debut for the Blues in 2005, commit to the
Club until June 2012. Ireland, who first came to prominence at City’s
successful youth academy has played over 60 times for the Blues and has won six
Republic of Ireland caps.
-mcfc.co.uk

Another good move by the club and following the recent trend in locking up the talented young players on long-term deals as this season Ireland has definitely impressed.

Ireland also made reference to his recent difficulties, thanking both the manager and club for the support they have provided:

“I am delighted to commit my future to Manchester City.
The last week has been extremely difficult for my family and I but it is a
terrific boost to sign a long term deal, which I hope shows my commitment to the
Club and the fans as well as the Club’s commitment to me. “I am very
settled at the club and the support I have received from my partner, family and
everybody around me has been fantastic.


“I would like to thank everybody who has sent me
messages of support over the last few days, including fans of City and Ireland.
The understanding shown to me by Sven Goran Eriksson, the City players and
backroom staff has been fantastic. I am glad to be back training at City and
looking forward to being part of the squad to travel to Fulham on
Saturday".

vote it up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he took comfort from the fans comments - although I was surprised at the editorial line on here. Are we going to support our home grown players on here or not?

Sometimes they screw up - but nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.