Saturday, October 17, 2009

Lescott on his City move

There is a lengthy article in the Mail today with Joleon Lescott in which he covers quite a wide number of topics. Of most interest perhaps, in discussing his move to the club he says:

‘Moving to City was one of the best days of my life because it was something I wanted,’ he says. ‘It wasn’t about the money. I remember hearing that one of the coaches at Everton, someone I’d worked with every day, had said that about me and I thought, “How can you say that when you know me as well as you do?”. Believe me, I had a great contract at Everton. I didn’t need any more. But City represented a chance to achieve real success faster than it was going to happen at Everton.

‘At City it’s just brilliant, the way the dressing room has gelled. I think it’s the sheer sense of excitement among all the lads, this feeling that we can achieve things and not just in the future but straight away. You can sense the excitement among the fans, too. They are enjoying watching players like Carlos Tevez and Emmanuel Adebayor as much as I’m enjoying
playing and training with them.’

It is a very candid and in-depth article with Lescott and well worth a read.

I was trying to assess Lescott's contribution to the side so far since his arrival, and ultimately thought it around 6/10 so far - by no means disappointing but equally he is yet to really assert or impose himself in the side in the manner hoped.

Contrast perhaps with Kolo Toure who looks as though he has been in the side for an eternity and his visibly improving with every game, yet to be fair to Toure he arrived after the season had begun (thus having no pre-season) and had to deal with very acrimonious circumstances surrounding his departure from Everton so perhaps it will take more time for him to fully integrate into the side.

That said, he has shown enough I believe to suggest he will have a successful season (and beyond), and given that he arrived effectively arrived as a replacement for Richard Dunne, I'm still very much of the opinion that it was the right move to make.

vote it up!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I signed up with these guys - www.liveustv.com
Best games are shown on Fox Soccer Channel and Setanta - got fed up with the lack of decent quality P2P streams that were 'here today and gone tomorrow'. I can also watch the Saturday afternoon Premier League games not shown in the UK. I have a SlingCatcher, so I can watch the stream on my 37"LCD TV at a very watchable resolution. Keeps the wife and son quiet too, she gets all her Lost and Desperate Housewives long before they are shown here and he gets all his MLB and NFL games. Saves me forking out for an ESPN/NASN subscription!

SR, Manchester said...

LCD! Come on Shaun, you need LED!

;-)

Anonymous said...

You don't have to have LCD! You can also watch this 3PM footie on laptop, PC or plasma