Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Weaver looking for long term deal

With his contract up at the end of this campaign, armed with a solid start to this season Nicky Weaver has spoken today of his desire to remain with the club for the long haul.

As reported in the MEN, Weaver said:


"I'd love to stay here beyond this season. I have been
in Manchester all my adult life and will have been here ten years come April, I
don't know much different. I have seen the club in good times and bad times. It
has been incredibly good to me and of course I want to extend that
relationship.

City is a great club to be at for a player. The ones
that leave here and go to a bigger and better club are few and far between.
Normally when they leave they go downhill and I don't want to leave here. I want
to stay and fight for my place.

But I have to convince everyone that I can stay fit and
focused and the best way to do that is to play in the Premiership and keep clean
sheets. If I do that then hopefully the manager will offer me a new
deal."


As I've mentioned previously, as well as Weaver has played this season he clearly isn't the long term number 1 with Andreas Isaksson waiting in the wings with Joe Hart and Kaspar Schmeichel being groomed for the future so it remains to be seen what deal the club will offer.

I believe a new deal will be offered by the club but it may not be a four year deal that he is probably hoping for - more like a further one or two years, something that could alert other sides who may look to offer a more attractive deal.

Incidentally, purelymancity has a post today on the expiry dates of the current squads contracts.

vote it up!

No comments: