Steve Bruce is hopeful Benjani will be joining the club after Sunderland's last-gasp move for the Manchester City striker.
Speaking before Monday night's ESPN game with Stoke Bruce said his club had got all the paperwork off on time and were awaiting confirmation.
The 31-year-old Zimbabwean had been in talks with Blackburn but now his fate rests with the Premier League.
When asked if Benjani would be heading to the Stadium of Light Bruce said: "We hope so, we have done everything properly. It was very, very late but we hope it's been accepted by the FA.
"It was pretty hectic at five to five when everything was going in there. At this moment in time I'm not so sure but Niall Quinn the chairman is very, very confident that it has been completed."
I haven't been able to find anything else to back this report out, so if anyone has anything please feel free to leave a comment.
UPDATE: The Times man in the North-East, George Caulkin, suggests on twitter that the paperwork to sign Benjani has been filed but was held up by 'technical problems' and the hope is that some leniency will be afforded.