Friday, January 08, 2010

Vieira signing confirmed

It's official, with Vieira facing the press this afternoon after signing a six month deal with an option for a further twelve months:

Roberto Mancini was fulsome in his praise for Vieira (although he dismissed the notion of him becoming captain):
"He is a big player, an important player. And he is a winner - at Arsenal, at Juventus, at Inter Milan, he won a lot of trophies, and he wants to continue that way here at City.

"You talk about signing big-name players, well Patrick has a big name. He will be a regular player, he can improve our performances. It is most important that he plays well."

Vieira himself has designs on winning a trophy during his time at the club:

“I came back to England because I think City is really exciting club with big ambition,” he went on. "I still have dreams in football and one of them is to come back to the Premier League and win something."

“We can achieve something really special here. I want to convince the City board and the City players and fans that I didn’t come here just to spend six months. I have come here to give something to the club. I believe that I still have a lot to give and I believe the team is strong enough to win trophies.”

Vieira will take the number 24 shirt, and could be in line to make his debut at home to Blackburn on Monday.

vote it up!

No comments: