Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Petrov unhappy

Martin Petrov shows a nice line in sarcasm in this interview conducted whilst he is away on international duty:

"I wanted to save my energy to win some jitball matches during Bulgaria training sessions," Petrov said sarcastically to explain why he did not play against Villa.

Petrov, who joined City from Atletico Madrid in 2007, ran to the bench to celebrate his goal by pointing to his shirt and number.

"No, I didn't do it for him (Hughes). I did it for my wife because she forgot my number", Petrov told reporters on Wednesday at the Vasil Levski national stadium, hinting at his limited opportunities at City."

Perhaps it is a sign of our arrival of a footballing force that we have to be on guard whenever international week comes around against players being 'misquoted' or 'taken out of context'.

In all seriousness though, it does highlight an issue that is unlikely to go anyway anytime soon - particularly with Robinho edging back towards fitness and the superlative form of Craig Bellamy, and he saw himself back on the bench after an impressive start against West Ham.

And if these further comments are any evidence, his disquiet may grow further as the season progresses:

"When they give me a chance I give my best," he added. "I think I've shown that I deserve a place in the starting line-up but it's up to him (Hughes).

"It's not a pleasant (situation). I'm a professional and I'm observing my obligations but it doesn't rest well with me."

vote it up!

1 comment:

Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

I've previously commented saying that Petrov is my favourite player. I repeat again that I am worried that come the January window he will be off. I hope that it doesn't happen because we need to keep these key people.
(Got rid of Dunne and look how that came back to bite us in the ass)

I'm hoping that Petrov will hang on a little bit and see what Robinho will do in Jan. I suspect he might be bored now he's no long a big fish and move on.