Monday, June 22, 2009

Santa Cruz signs

"I'm very happy to have signed for City - it's been close to happening for a while, and now I can just focus on football and concentrate on doing my best for the club.

"I know the kind of football Mark Hughes wants to play and the kind of character he is - he's a winner, he wants to make things happen and be successful. Those are always my thoughts as well, so knowing what he wants was a big factor in coming here, because I know the club is going in the right direction.

"I know his staff and the kind of training they will have the team doing, so everything was very attractive for me.

"The owners want the club to be more successful - they want to break into the top four, and the fact that the fans are so passionate about everything to do with City was also a factor. I am very motivated to play for these fans.

"I spoke to the Chairman and I know his ambitions are known to everybody at the club - he made sure that I know as well. It was a good conversation. He wants the best for the club and to give something back to the fans."

>>Roque Santa Cruz.

"We're obviously delighted to get him here. It was really important that we signed him, because it's an area of the squad that we have needed to address for some time, and the qualities Roque brings will be of great benefit.

"His ability in the air and his physical presence are qualities we've been missing, but he also has technical ability and good pace for a big man. He's a very good player and one I know well from our time at Blackburn."

>>Mark Hughes.

The expected transfer was confirmed via the official site earlier this afternoon, and any possible concerns about his injury history must have been answered during the medical.

The potential move divided opinion amongst fans, and whilst there are plenty of positives - goals, physical presence and familiarity with Hughes's coaching and 'system', there are also negatives - injury history, an inflated fee and the concern he is a one-season wonder.

Only time will tell as to whether his signing is a hit or bust, but my own immediate reaction on the signing being concluded is a positive one.

vote it up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bust i'm afraid. Hope i'm proved wrong.