Monday, February 02, 2009

The curious case of Willo Flood

CELTIC Football Club are pleased to announce today that Willo Flood has joined the club. The player has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract and is delighted to be joining his boyhood heroes.

The midfielder, who was on loan at Dundee United from Cardiff City, told the official Celtic website: “It really is a tremendous honour to sign for a club of Celtic’s stature.

“This is an exciting challenge and one which I am really looking forward to. I have been a fan of Celtic all my life and this truly is a dream come true to sign for the club.

“I will be joining a great group of players and I will be giving everything I can to make as big a contribution as possible to Celtic Football Club. I hope to play my part in achieving more and more success for the club and its supporters.

“I would like to thank Dundee United FC for all they have done for me. I have enjoyed my time there immensely and I wish the club all the best for the future. My focus is now Celtic and I can’t wait to get started with my new club.”

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan said: “We are delighted to welcome Willo to Celtic Football Club.

“He has had a tremendous time at Dundee United where he has shown great ability, drive and enthusiasm. We look forward to working with him at Celtic."

>>celticfc.net

Confirmation of the protracted transfer involving one of our former players of course.

To be honest, until the rumours about a move began to surface about Flood I must admit had completely forgotten all about him.

Upon being sold by ourselves, his Cardiff career never really got off the ground, and has spent the past season and a half on loan in the SPL with Dundee United.

As I wrote at the time of his departure, he had failed to progress sufficiently to be able to become a part of the first team set up at the club - this bearing in mind at a time when club finances were not remotely close to anything like we now possess.

It is a remarkable turnaround therefore for him to now end up at Celtic, and perhaps credit needs to be given to Flood for rebounding his career to now end up on a big stage at Celtic Park.

vote it up!

1 comment:

newsoftheblues said...

well...celtic still play in a tin pot league and are championship level...hence why the likes of samaras can play there.

he is very lightweight