Friday, October 21, 2005

Match day preview.

Beset by injuries, in the midst of an Henry contract stalemate and way off Chelsea at this early stage of the season - can we bury the dismal record of not having won at Highbury for donkeys years and extend our best ever Premiership start?
Odds are against you would imagine and Ladbrokes offer 5/1 against on us taking the points back with us. It is now seventeen games without a win against Arsenal, with the Gunners winning fourteen of those games in the process including a few heavy beatings at Maine Road in recent years. After last weeks defeat at West Brom, a win for City would mean that they will suffer back to back defeats for the first time in 111 games.
However, last season saw a slender 1-0 defeat at Eastlands before we took a point from Highbury thanks to a wonder strike from Shaun Wright-Phillips. In truth, Arsenal have not been overly impressive (by recent lofty standards) from what I have seen this season and even in taking away a 100% record in the Champions League they have not entirely convinced.
Team wise, unfortunately Henry is expected to play following his record-breaking return in the week but Reyes, Cole, Campbell, Ljunberg and Hleb all miss out. For City, Thatcher and Dunne are still out so we will likely be unchanged from last weeks win at home to West Ham.
Shackling Henry is a key tomorrow and the responisbility will fall even more so on Sylvain Distin with Dunne being out. Van Persie has looked very dangerous this season with more opportunity as well.
Defensively, they still remain strong with Senderos and Clichey filling in for England duo Campbell and Cole but if we are to take anything from the game it will be the midfield who continue their impressive start by dominating an Arsenal midfield missing key players and with Pires struggling for form. The key will be Joey Barton and if he can win the battle with Gilberto and Fabregas, this will allow Musampa and Ireland in particular to support Cole and Vassell.
I am hopeful we can come away with a point to continue our recent good form, but history is hard to against so predicition wise I'm going for Arsenal 2 City 1. Hopefully, my successes in predicting correct scores will come to an end.

vote it up!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a christmas gift site/blog. It pretty much covers gift ideas for christmas related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

pickledshrimp said...

I see you have already befell the plague of the phantom bloggers.

Typically "Wow, just read your thread (lying already) about stuff and it's way cool (I haven't read anything other than click here to comment). I'm going to be here all the time (this is the last time you'll ever see me).....maybe you'd like to check out my site on lebanese ornaments (I'm trying to sell stuff but it's not very sellable so hoepfully you may be foolish enough)"

Got a few of them but they started to get annoying when they appeared after every post!! I found that blogger allows you to turn on some character verification system and it's pretty useful.

Regarding link swapping, had a quick read (honestly though) and quite like the look of the site. Presumably it's been started quite recently. I'm happy to get a link exchange going. I'll stick you in my links at work tomorrow. As for the column, I'd love to do it but it could be tricky as I'm going to Canada next weekend so it'll be second hand information at best. I could do you a quick summary of his progress so far I guess.

Regarding Man City, I think you were both unlucky and lucky last weekend. If Pires had done the simple thing he was entrusted with it would have been two nil but then there was also the Vassell chance. I like the way that Pearce refuses to blame officials. That sort of attitude should help the team no end.

I watched the Man City game and was amazed at either how well Musampa played assuming criticism was just or how much criticism he gets assuming that display was par. Thought it was a fully deserved win and Pardew was clutching at straws when he picked out chances where (correctly I suppose) they might have got a better foothold in the game. I was pretty annoyed at wastefulness from Cole though after Barton (in my fantasy team) teed him up with enough chances for the hattrick!!

Anyhow, I'll gety the link sorted tomorrow and good luck with the thread.

If the other links are anything to go by, I will check back regularly!!

pickledshrimp said...

Man City game = West Ham game of course ;)

Lucky I proof read this stuff after writing......

Simon Barratt said...

anyone know if there is a video copy of the f'ed up penalty. i didn't see it. from what i've read, sounds like aresenal got 2 points more than thet deserved!

city are performing well this year. they have confidence that was always lacking, and i know expect them to score, they are exciting to watch!

Anonymous said...

http://home.skysports.com/broadband.asp?showclip=yes

link for the penalty